course ID: 1
Methodology and practical application of HTA and economic evaluation in health care
The course is designed as an introduction to the concepts, methods, and application of health technology assessment and economic evaluation in health care. Specific topics that will be covered include: the policy context for HTA, methods and processes of HTA, an overview of economic evaluation methods, cost and benefit estimation, economic evaluation using patient-level data, economic evaluation using decision-analytic modelling, and using economic evaluation in healthcare decision-making. Numerous examples and case studies are used to illustrate the main points and considerable emphasis is placed on learning through group work and exercises. There will be ample opportunity for students to discuss any issues or problems they have already encountered in the field of HTA and economic evaluation. The course will be of particular benefit to those working in the health care sector who have a need to present a case for funding or reimbursement of particular health care treatments or programs.
At the end of the course, the student will:
- understand the policy context for health technology assessment and the key processes involved;
- be familiar with the components of health technology assessment and its link with economic evaluation;
- be familiar with the concepts, methods and applications of economic evaluation in healthcare;
- understand costing methodology and the different approaches to valuing the benefits of health treatments;
- be able to undertake a critical appraisal of published studies;
- understand the limitations of clinical trials as a vehicle for economic evaluation;
- be familiar with decision-analytic modelling approaches, including the construction of decision trees and Markov models;
- appreciate the main issues in the use of economic evaluation in health care resource allocation decisions, including the reimbursement of health technologies;
- have an appreciation of future developments in the theory and application of economic evaluation in health care
The course is intended for graduate students (or equivalent) who have a background in economics, or the health disciplines. Some previous knowledge of HTA and economic evaluation is desirable, although this can be acquired through the reading that is offered in connection with this course. Some work experience in the health care sector is desirable, but not essential.