course ID: 1.1
Communication to Influence Health Behavior? Understanding and doing BCC.
Behaviour Change Communication (BCC) is a type of communication designed for the purpose of influencing health related behaviour by motivating, informing, persuading, or inspiring them through knowledge attainment and or attitudinal change. The importance of communication is increasingly being recognized by governments and donors and as such, individuals are tasked with designing communication that fixes some incredibly complex behaviours, improves people’s lives, and saves healthcare costs. Designing effective communication requires skills and knowhow. Participants in this course will learn the evidence associated with BCC and how to design effective BCC.
- Be able to define and describe Behavior Change Communication (BCC);
- Know how to design communication for behavior change to maximize its effects;
- Be familiar with the concepts, methods and applications of BCC;
- Be able to describe the outcomes achieved with BCC, in what settings and under what conditions/contexts;
- Be able to discuss important issues in using BCC, including its strengths and limitations to achieving behavior change.